Wednesday, June 7, 2023 – Hybrid (In person or online simultaneously)
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – Hybrid (In person or online simultaneously)
Wednesday, June 21, 2023 – Online only
Wednesday, June 28, 2023 – Hybrid (In person or online simultaneously)
Online Class Times: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Shelley Mack, AT&AEM Center Braille Consultant, Certified Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments (CTVI) and Certified Braille Transcriber
- Educators and others who work with students who use braille
- Braillists and Transcribers
The student will demonstrate:
- Use of Nemeth Code in UEB materials
- Ability to write Nemeth materials using 6-key input
- Basic understanding of Nemeth braille formatting
- Ability to read, write and proofread basic Nemeth code for math and science
- Awareness of resources, various pieces of technology and software for braille production.
The Basic Nemeth Course will review the basic Nemeth Code for math and science notation. This course will cover the Nemeth Code notation appropriate for kindergarten to middle school curricula. Students will participate in independent and group work via video conferencing and will apply their knowledge as they read, write, and proofread math and science materials. Students will use 6-key input to produce braille materials. The course will be appropriate for students with little or no Nemeth experience. The course will also include examples following current recommendations for the use of Nemeth Code in the UEB setting.
Proficiency in the material covered in the Basic Braille course is highly recommended due to the pace and content of this course
Class materials [Provided through the BEST Grant]
- Mathematics Braille Transcribing - Course Manual Revision (Provisional)
- Additional handouts will be provided by instructor
Participants are required to use a computer with free Perky Duck software available at https://www.duxburysystems.com/products.asp
Certificate of Attendance
Twenty-seven (27) contact hours will be offered for this course.
Two (2) semester hours of Ashland University credit will be offered for each of the braille courses. The BEST Grant will pay for the college credit tuition for the first twenty (20) Ohio teachers to register.
Ashland registration coming soon
You must also register via OCALI Pass through the link below!
- This training is limited to the first 20 participants to register.
- Registration deadline: June 3, 2023
Register online via OCALI Pass
For more information contact Augusta Fisher at email@example.com