Tuesday, June 8; Tuesday, June 15; Tuesday, June 22; and Tuesday, June 29, 2021
Online Class Times: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Shelley Mack, AT&AEM Center Braille Consultant, Certified Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments (CTVI) and Certified Braille Transcriber
- Educators and others who work with students who use braille
- Braillists and Transcribers
The student will demonstrate:
- Use of Nemeth Code in UEB materials
- Ability to write Nemeth materials using 6-key input
- Basic understanding of Nemeth braille formatting
- Ability to read, write and proofread basic Nemeth code for math and science
- Awareness of resources, various pieces of technology and software for braille production.
The Basic Nemeth Course will review the basic Nemeth Code for math and science notation. This course will cover the Nemeth Code notation appropriate for kindergarten to middle school curricula. Students will participate in independent and group work via video conferencing and will apply their knowledge as they read, write, and proofread math and science materials. Students will use 6-key input to produce braille materials. The course will be appropriate for students with little or no Nemeth experience. The course will also include examples following current recommendations for the use of Nemeth Code in the UEB setting.
Proficiency in the material covered in the Basic Braille course is highly recommended due to the pace and content of this course
Class materials are available online at:
- National Federation of the Blind Literacy Braille Transcribing
- Mathematics Braille Transcribing - Course Manual Revision (Provisional)
- Additional handouts will be provided by instructor
Participants are required to use a computer with free Perky Duck software available at https://www.duxburysystems.com/products.asp
Twenty-seven (27) contact hours will be offered for this course.
Two (2) semester hours of Ashland University credit will be offered for each of the braille courses. The BEST Grant will pay for the college credit tuition for the first twenty (20) Ohio teachers to register.
This training is limited to the first 15 participants to register. Classes fill up fast, so don't delay registering!
Registration deadline: June 1, 2021
To receive graudate credit, please register for the training through both OCALI Pass and Ashland University (link above)
For more information contact Augusta Fisher at email@example.com