Coming June 2022
Shelley Mack, AT&AEM Center Braille Consultant, Certified Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments (CTVI) and Certified Braille Transcriber
Educators and others who work with students who use braille
The student will demonstrate:
- Increased braille literacy skills;
- Ability to write braille using 6-key input
- Ability to read, write and proofread the braille alphabet;
- Knowledge of braille numbers, punctuation and braille contractions;
- Awareness of resources and various pieces of technology and software for braille production
The Basic Braille Course will provide basic instruction in braille for paraprofessionals, parents, and teachers and is not intended to be a refresher for the experienced braille user. The course will introduce/review the braille alphabet, capitalization, punctuation, cardinal numbers, one-cell whole-word contractions, whole-word contractions, part-word contractions, and some short-form words, all according to UEB (Unified English Braille). This course will also introduce simple formatting. Students will participate in independent and group work via group video conferencing and will apply their knowledge as they read and write using 6-key input and proofread literary braille materials.
Familiarity with the braille alphabet will be helpful before starting this course.
Class materials are available online at:
- National Federation of the Blind Literacy Braille Transcribing
- Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing - UEB Edition, 2015 (lessons 1-6 and Drills Reproduced in Braille)
- The Rules of Unified Braille Second Edition, 2013
- additional handouts provided by instructor
Participants are required to use a computer with free Perky Duck software available at https://www.duxburysystems.com/products.asp
Certificate of Attendance
25.5 contact hours will be offered for this 3-day course.
Two (2) semester hours of Ashland University credit will be offered for each of the braille courses with the completion of one additional assignment to be submitted by midnight of June 17, 2020. The BEST Grant will pay for the college credit tuition for the first twenty (20) Ohio teachers to register.
This training is limited to the first 15 participants to register. Classes fill-up fast, so don't delay signing up!
To receive graudate credit, please register for the training through both OCALI Pass and Ashland University (link above)
Registration Coming Soon
For more information contact Augusta Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org