STEM Tactile Graphics: Using the TactiPad
Tuesday, September 7, 2021
12:00pm - 1:30pm
Lucia Hasty, MA, TVI, Braille and Tactile Graphics specialist
- Teachers and paraprofessionals working with students who are potential or current braille users
- Staff of Boards of Developmental Disabilities working with students who are potential or current braille users
- Other school staff working with students who are potential or current braille users
- Transcribers or accessible materials productionists
This training will review the features of the TactiPad, a hardware that can be used with TactileView software or as a stand alone hardware to create tactile graphics. Especially useful in STEM subjects, the TactiPad can be used by a sighted person to create graphics for learners, or by a blind user to create their own tactile graphics. The training will focus on how to use the TactiPad equipment with its features in a variety of school subjects.
For your participation and completion of this training, a new TactiPad will be purchased for your school district/agency.
I. Overview of TactiPad features:
- Drawing pad and film
II. Math tools
- Ruler, Triangle, Protractor, Compasses
- GraphGrid with trigonometry tool, coordinate system
- CircleFrame for pie charts and clocks
III. Using the digital pen to capture drawings
- Explore Mode and design mode
- Using context menus to create line styles
IV. Exploring audio-tactile images using speech and sound
V. Using RouteTactile for creating maps
VI. Importing designs from TactileView Catalog
- How to set up the TactiPad and tools
- The benefits of using the digital pen
- Audio-tactile features of the TactiPad
- How to create maps using RouteTactile
A trial version of TactileView software is available for download on https://www.tactileview.com/download.asp. Note that the training is focused on the TactiPad, and is not a software training. Downloading the trial version of TactileView will be helpful, but not at all required for this training.
One and one-half hours (1.5) contact hours will be offered for full participation. Full live attendance is required to receive hours and a TactiPad.
- This workshop is limited to 15 participants
- Deadline for Registration: August 30, 2021
- You must have a Lending Library account in order to register and be provided the equipment.
- If you need to cancel your registration, please do so 1 week in advance by email to Augusta Fisher. (Email below)
- For more information contact: email@example.com