Ohio Braille Professional Development / Learning Opportunities
- Braille Excellence for Students and Teachers (BEST) Grant Professional Development Face to face, hybrid, and online opportunities from a statewide project of professional development and technical assistance dedicated to braille literacy, braille instruction, braille materials, and braille technology in Ohio schools.
Braille Tutorials and Resources / Learning Opportunities
- Nemeth Braille Code for Instructors and Paraeducators Free online series of courses designed to provide easy access to support learning or reinforcing Nemeth braille code skills for mathematics and science.
- UEBOT Online Training Developed through a grant from the U.S. Dept. of Education, this is a 5-week course designed as a path to proficiency in UEB for individuals already familiar with EBAE. The open online course offers a certificate of completion, as well as the opportunity for college or professional development credit.
- NLS Literary Braille Transcribing Course Course administered by the National Federation of the Blind for the National Library Service designed for the Library of Congress certification of braille transcribers.
- UEB Online Braille Training for Sighted Learners Self-paced braille training program suitable for classroom and specialist teachers, parents, teacher aides and other professionals supporting children and adults with vision impairment.
- Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired Braille Course Listing Free distance education program for sighted professionals and family as well as people with visual impairments.
- Scalar’s Publishing: Ashcroft’s Programmed Instruction: Unified English Braille Intended for instruction under the direction of a qualified instructor.
- Just Enough to Know Better: A UEB Braille Primer A self-paced workbook designed for sighted parents to learn “just enough” braille to help their child learn to read.
- ABCs of UEB: A Guide for the Transition from English Braille American Edition (EBAE) to The Rules of Unified English Braille (UEB) Presents side by side comparisons of UEB vs. EBAE translations in activities to complete the UEB transition.
- UEBot Transition to UEB Training (Northern Illinois) Online course designed for people proficient in EBAE (English Braille American Edition) to UEB.
- Dots for Families Braille Lessons Self-paced lessons series of 15 lessons to introuduce the braille code to sighted adults for the purpose of supporting a braille user. This series does not present the complete braille code.
- Perky Duck Free program to use a computer for using 6-key input to create braille files. Excellent tool for use while learning the braille code.
- APH Nemeth Tutorial Free, online, self-paced Nemeth braille training program from the American Printing House for the Blind. Program covers from simple to advanced math topics.
Braille Rules and Guidelines
- Braille Authority of North America (BANA) - UEB Information and Resources Website contains links to code books, formats, guidance, and policies for all braille codes, including braille and tactile graphics used for literary, music, foreign language, mathematics and science.
- Foreign Language Provisional Guidance BANA guidelines for transcribing foreign language in the UEB context.
- Rules of Unified English Braille, Second Edition, 2013 Includes updates and errata.
- Braille Formats: Principles of Print-to-Braille Transcription, 2016 BANA guidelines for formatting braille materials, including rules for headings, exercises, and all print formats.
- Nemeth-UEB Guidance BANA guidelines for using Nemeth Code for Mathematics and Science within the UEB context.
- Provisional Guidance for Chemistry Notation in UEB Contexts BANA guidelines for using Nemeth Code within the UEB context for Chemistry Notation.
- Scalar’s Publishing: Braille Enthusiast’s Dictionary: UEB Edition
Utilize the following reference charts and databases to assist with lessons or transcribing.
- UEB Quick Reference Chart
- Nemeth Code Quick Reference Chart
- UEB Chart from Aroga Technologies
- UEB Braille Chart from Duxbury Systems
- UEB Braille Symbols and Indicators List
- Nemeth Charts 1 & 2 from Braille Helps
Acquire braille skills by sight by practicing on the following applications.
- Braille Tutor ios app by iEnable Technology Solutions and Consultancy
- Learn Braille Alphabet ios app by Yat Tat Lee
- Brailliac: Braille Tutor android app by Brailliac
- Braille Contraction Lookup android app by Jeff Bishop
- UEB PREP free ios app by Universal Design Lab
- Visual Brailler ios app by American Printing House for the Blind
- Exploring Braille with Madilyn and Ruff by Hillary Kleck