Creating Accessible Word Documents
As part of the BEST Grant’s goals to support the implementation of braille instruction and braille technology, BEST is offering a professional development workshop focused on creating accessible Word documents. The introductory training will focus on creating an accessible source file. Accessible source files are better for transcribers to work with to create .brf files or hard copy braille and are also compatible with assistive technologies, supporting digital access for students who are visually impaired.
This training was developed to assist those who support students who are visually impaired by providing an introductory level of understanding materials accessibility. This is a half-day, hands-on in-service for paraprofessionals, general educators, other school staff.
September 3, 2020 from 9:00am – 12:00pm
OCALI, 470 Glenmont Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43214
Rachel Schultz, AEM Specialist for the AT&AEM Center
- Teachers and paraprofessionals working with students who are potential or current braille users
- Staff of Boards of Developmental Disabilities working with students who are potential or current braille users
- Other school staff working with students who are potential or current braille users
- Transcribers or accessible materials productionists
- Participants will be able to apply understanding of concepts by working through a practice document
- Participants will be able to identify common accessibility errors within Word documents and how to remediate them
- Participants will be able to explain the importance of creating accessibly as it applies to accessibility standards and increasing access
- Document Properties
- Formatting for Text and Images
- Alternative Text
- Utilizing Styles for Document Structure
- Finalizing the Document
- Converting to PDF
Needed for participation
PC computers with Microsoft Word will be made available to attendees. If you prefer to work on your own device, please bring the device with you to the training with Microsoft Word already installed.
Three (3) contact hours will be offered for participation.
This training is limited to the first 20 participants to register. Classes fill-up fast, so don’t delay signing up!
Registration deadline: August 28th, 2020
For more information contact Julie Burkhart | 614-410-0380 | email@example.com