A Touch of Braille
A Basic Introduction to the Alphabet and Numbers
This introduction to braille workshop was developed to assist those who support students who are visually impaired by providing an introductory level of understanding braille. This is a one-day, hands-on training for paraprofessionals, general educators, other school staff and parents/families.
September 18, 2020 from 9:00am – 3:30pm
OCALI, 470 Glenmont Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43214
Shelley Mack, TVI and Braille Consultant for the AT&AEM Center
- Paraprofessionals working with students who are potential or current braille users, particularly young, newly blind, or cognitively limited students
- Staff of Boards of Developmental Disabilities working with students who are potential or current braille users
- Other school staff working with students who are potential or current braille users
- Parents and family of children who are potential or current braille users
Through participation in reading, writing, and varied individual and group practice activities, the participants will demonstrate:
- an understanding of contracted and uncontracted braille.
- the ability to read the braille alphabet, numeric digits, and basic punctuation (, ‘ . ? !).
- the ability to write the braille alphabet, numeric digits, and basic punctuation (, ‘ . ? !).
- using a Perkins brailler.
- an awareness of resources for further braille instruction.
|8:45 am – 9:00 am||Registration|
|9:00 am – 10:25 am||Introduction to braille as a literacy tool; Definitions of contracted and uncontracted braille; The braille alphabet|
|10:25 am – 10:35 am||Break|
|10:35 am – 11:45 am||The braille alphabet (continued)|
|11:45 am – 12:50 pm||Lunch on your own|
|12:50 pm – 2:00 pm||Basic braille punctuation (, . ? ! ‘)|
|2:00 pm – 2:10 pm||Break|
|2:10 pm – 3:15 pm||Braille digits 0-9|
|3:15 pm – 3:30 pm||Questions and Answers, Evaluations|
Participants Need to Bring:
A brailler or a computer with 6-key capability (Perky Duck, etc.) For a free Perky Duck download, click here.
(A limited number of braillers are available to borrow for the workshop if requested. Braille Paper will be provided by the BEST Grant)
Certificate of Attendance
Five (5) contact hours will be offered for full day participation.
This training is limited to the first 20 participants to register. Classes fill-up fast, so don’t delay signing up!
Registration deadline: September 11, 2020
For more information contact Julie Burkhart | 614-410-0380 | email@example.com