MathType & Equatio Software Training
As part of the BEST Grant’s goals to support the implementation of braille instruction and braille technology, BEST is offering a professional development training focused on MathType and Equatio software. The instructors will facilitate the session with a hands-on learning platform. The training is open to educators and support staff serving students with visual impairments at no cost.
Using MathType and/or EquatIO with the BANA template are effective tools for preparing math braille documents. The primary focus of this hands-on training is learning how to use MathType and/or EquatIO in Word before importing material to Duxbury for braille translation.
Four online sessions
- January 24, 2022. 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- January 31, 2022. 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- February 7, 2022. 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- February 14, 2022. 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Jerry Whittaker, Technical Assistance Consultant
- Heather Bridgman, Assistive Technology Consultant
- Shelley Mack, TVI and Braille Consultant
Educators, transcribers and others who work with students who use Nemeth.
Participants will demonstrate:
- Entering math into Word using EquatIO.
- Entering math into Word using MathType.
- Using Duxbury math codes in the Word setting.
- Producing proper Nemeth Code math braille in the UEB setting by importing formatted Word documents into Duxbury.
Session 1: Preparing Materials
- Obtaining math documents
- Scanning math material with ABBYY FineReader
- Configuring Word to allow for easy identification of MathML
- Applying Word BANA template for Nemeth using SWIFT
EquatIO installation & overview
- EquatIO features
- Steps in using EquatIO to input math into Word with Screenshot Reader
- Steps in using EquatIO to change scanned images of math into MathML
- MathType introduction & overview including enhancement of visual appearance
- MathType to input math into Word including shortcut keys and practice
- Using MathType to convert math from Word Equation Editor
- Correcting MathML in MathType
- Duxbury Math Codes
- Special cases including problem math topics and document types
- Reading and correcting translated braille
Knowledge of Nemeth Code and formatting in Word for Duxbury Braille translation (familiarity with BANA Braille template operation)
Four (4) contact hours will be offered.
A one-year subscription for the Mathtype software or an upgrade will be provided to each district/agency represented (one copy per district/agency).
This training is limited to the first 17 participants to register. Classes fill-up fast, so don’t delay signing up!
For more information contact Julie Pashovich | (614) 410-1042 | email@example.com