Braille Formats Including Nemeth Code in the UEB Context
The Braille Formats Including Nemeth Code in the UEB Context is a one-day, hands-on inservice for Ohio educators and support staff with a focus on the purpose and structure of formatting braille materials for use in the school setting.
Just as print materials use text font and placement to attract a print reader to specific sections of a page or indicate the varied importance of headings and other information, braille materials should also convey this same information to the braille reader. The Braille Authority of North America (BANA) has released the current Braille Formats: Principles of Print-to-Braille Transcription, 2016, which outlines the rules of formatting material using Unified English Braille (UEB). This workshop will introduce the basics of formatting in relation to materials used in the K-12 classroom setting.
Through the general braille formatting discussion, demonstration, and hands-on activities, participants will:
- Become familiar with and practice the proper braille formatting techniques for K-12 print instructional materials.
- Problem solve the formatting of educational materials the participants currently use in the classroom setting.
- Begin the thinking/planning process on how to implement proper formatting with students in their home school district.
The later afternoon will provide hands-on training for participants who already have a working knowledge of Unified English Braille and Nemeth Code braille for mathematics and science with the skills to use the two codes together.
Through instruction, practice, and discussion, participants will:
- Investigate the differences between general braille formatting and Nemeth Code formatting.
- Become familiar with the general principles and symbols for code switching.
- Explore the Braille Authority of North America (BANA) Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Context.
- Practice brailling specific examples of math for all levels.
Date / Times
March 15, 2019 from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
470 Glenmont Ave. - Columbus, OH 43214
Shelley Mack, TVI and AT & AEM Center Braille Consultant
Registration deadline: March 8, 2019.
This workshop is limited to 20 participants.
Participants Need to Bring:
A brailler, braille paper or a computer with 6-key capability (Perky Duck, etc.)
For a free Perky Duck download visithttp://www.duxburysystems.com/perky.asp
Computer, ipad, or other device for wifi access to http://www.brailleauthority.org/formats/2016manual-web/frontmatter.html or download the formats in advance of workshop
Five (5) Contact Hours will be offered for the full-day participation
8:45 am – 9:00 am Registration
9:00 am – 10:25 am General principles, Headings, Illustrated Materials, Boxed Materials, Lists, Displayed Materials
10:25 am – 10:35 amBreak
10:35 am – 11:45 amExercises, Tables, Sidebars, Poetry
11:45 am – 12:45 pm Lunch on your own
12:45 pm – 2:00 pm Plays, Notes, Spelling Lists, Misc., Nemeth Code and UEB
2:00 pm – 2:15 pm Break
2:15 pm – 3:15 pm Nemeth Code and UEB (continued)
3:15 pm – 3:30 pm Questions and Answers, Evaluations