STEM Braille Day: STEM Smackdown and Nemeth Skill Refresher
March 12, 2021 from 9:00am - 3:15pm
STEM Braille Smackdown from 9:00am – 12:00pm
Nemeth Skill Refresher from 12:45pm – 3:15pm
The STEM Braille Day is a one-day inservice conducted via Zoom with two focuses to encourage Ohio teachers and support staff to learn from each other regarding instructional strategies for teaching Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math to students who are braille users and reinforce their personal Nemeth skills.
During the morning STEM Smackdown, participants are invited to share strategies they use in the classroom as blind students participate in the math and science classrooms. Topics could include useful materials, helpful techniques for teaching specific science, math, engineering and technology topics, tips for STEM in the regular classroom, and much more! Participants should come prepared to demonstrate and explain what strategies have been successfully used with their students, and perhaps ask the group for help in an area that has been challenging!
The afternoon Nemeth Skill Refresher will provide training and reinforcement for participants who already have some working knowledge of Unified English Braille and Nemeth Code braille for mathematics and science, including an overview of using the two codes together.
TVIs, Intervention Specialists, Paraprofessionals, and STEM Classroom Instructors
Through discussion and demonstration, morning STEM Braille Smackdown participants will:
- Become familiar with STEM instructional strategies for use with students who are braille users within the context of the regular classroom.
- Connect with other professionals who are involved with supporting STEM instruction with students who are braille users.
- Begin the thinking/planning process on how to access STEM materials and support for students in their home school district.
Through instruction, practice, and discussion, afternoon Nemeth Skill Refresher participants will:
- Participate in Nemeth review and reinforcement activities for improving personal skills.
- Explore the Braille Authority of North America (BANA) Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Context.
- Practice reading and writing specific examples of math braille for all levels.
|9:00 am – 12:00 pm||Sharing Instructional Strategies and Exploring Materials for STEM instruction including options for obtaining braille materials|
|12:45 pm – 3:15 pm||Refreshing and Reinforcing personal Nemeth skills and exploring the use of Nemeth within the UEB context|
Three (3.0) contact hours will be offered for the morning STEM Braille Smackdown.
Two and one half (2.5) contact hours will be offered for the afternoon Nemeth Skill Refresher.
Shelley Mack, TVI, Certified Braille Transcriber, and AT&AEM Center Braille Consultant
Afternoon Participants Need to Have:
A brailler, braille paper or a computer with 6-key capability (Perky Duck, etc.) For a free Perky Duck download click here.
It is recommended that participants use a second device to access the virtual meeting if using Perky Duck to participate.
This training is limited to the first 20 participants to register. Classes fill-up fast, so don’t delay signing up!
Registration deadline: February 21, 2021
For more information contact Julie Pashovich at firstname.lastname@example.org