2019 Paraprofessional Instructional Support Techniques: Supporting Students Who are Braille Users
Paraprofessionals are frequently the school staff with the most contact with students who are blind or visually impaired. The Paraprofessional Instructional Support Techniquesis a one-day, hands-on inservice for paraprofessionals with all levels of experience whose role is to support students who are braille users in the preschool to grade 12 school setting. The day will focus on topics and techniques related to both support of students in curricular and extracurricular activities. Ohio paraprofessionals will have the opportunity to network, problem solve, and sharpen their skills through a variety of activities including some using sleep shades
Dates / Times
February 22, 2019 from 9:00am – 3:30pm
OCALI, 470 Glenmont Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43214
Shelley Mack, TVI and Braille Consultant for the AT&AEM Center
Registration deadline: January 24, 2019
This workshop is limited to 20 participants.
Through discussion, demonstration, and hands-on activities, participants will:
- Review fundamental principles of blindness etiquette.
- Investigate techniques with which blind students participate in curricular topics.
- Explore the nine areas of the Expanded Core Curriculum for students with visual impairments.Sharpen braille reading and writing skills.
- Problem solve challenging situations which occur during the school day.
- Network with other Ohio paraprofessionals.
- Begin the thinking/planning process on how to implement instructional support techniques with students in their home school district.
Participants Need to Bring:
A brailler, braille paper or a computer with 6-key capability (Perky Duck, etc.)
For a free Perky Duck download http://www.duxburysystems.com/perky.asp
Certificate of Attendance
Five (5) contact hours will be offered.
|8:45 am – 9:00 am||Registration|
|9:00 am – 10:25 am||Blindness Etiquette; Braille skill practice; Role of the Paraprofessional|
|10:25 am – 10:35am||Break|
|10:35 pm – 11:45 pm||Core Curriculum support techniques; Braille skill practice|
|11:45 am – 12:50 pm||Lunch on your own|
|12:50 pm – 2:00 pm||Expanded Core Curriculum overview and support techniques; Braille skill practice|
|2:10 pm – 3:15 pm||Technology; Braille Skill Practice; Putting it all Together!|
|3:15pm - 3:30 pm||Questions and Answers, Evaluations|